Zavod PIP was one of the seven international partners of the iDebate project, which was co-financed by the European Union under the Europe for Citizens program and run by Student Plus, Romania.
The project addressed low participation of youths in democratic processes. The Eurobarometer survey “European Youth: Participation in a Democratic Life” (2013) found that persons between 15 and 30 years of age most often participate in elections due to their confidence in the democratic process, while the most common reason for not participating is the belief that voting cannot change anything. Another important finding was that collaborating with different organizations increases youths’ interest in politics.
The iDebate project aimed to increase the participation of youths in various forms of democratic expression. At the same time, we wanted to promote active citizenship among youths by engaging them in a dialogue on current European and global priorities. Engaging youths in political debates is an important first step towards societal progress
In order to be successful in this endeavor, we included an online approach with the aim to better reach the target audience: youths are the most active on the Internet, on various online social media. Our target group were high school and college students (youths who are the first voters). We aimed activities at raising awareness, developing skills and enhancing the sense of European identity among youths, in order to reach the project goals.
- Active citizenship and its role in sustainable development
- Active citizenship and solidarity – European Solidarity Corps
- Digital Active Citizenship – Contemporary Civic Participation
- Active citizenship and elections – Understanding the EU institutions and legislative process
- The importance of critical thinking in the information age
- Budapest (preparatory meeting, Hungary), Maribor (Slovenia), Petrinja (Croatia), Lisbon (Portugal) and Timisoara (Romania).
- Participating countries: Romania, Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Italy, Portugal
- Summary of international events: 5 events, 401 participants, 98 international mobility view events’ details
- Local Event Summary: 32 events, 2448 participants view local events’ details
- Reach: Over 50,000 online views and informed citizens
- Website: i-debate.eu
- Video archive: i-debate.eu/live/video-archive-by-months/
- Youtube: iDebate
- Facebook: iDebate
- Click for the Project details on the Europe for Citizens Program Portal / Opis projekta na portalu Programa Europa za državljane
- Project management: Student Plus – Timisoara, Romania (http://www.studentplus.ro/idebate-i-debate-therefore-i-learn/)
- FACULDADE DE CIENCIAS SOCIAIS E HUMANAS DA UNIVERSIDADE NOVA, Lisbon, Portugal (http://www.fcsh.unl.pt/)
- PEST MEGYE ONKORMANYZATA – Budapest, Hungary (http://www.pestmegye.hu/)
- Zavod PIP – Maribor Law and Information Center, Slovenia (http://zavodpip.si/)
- Udruga za promicanje informatike, kulture i suživota – Petrinja, Hrvaška (http://udrugaiks.hr/)
- Evropska generacija – Zrenjanin, Srbija
- Associazione eurokom – Gerace, Italija (http://www.eurokomonline.eu/)
August 1st, 2017 – January 31st, 2019
European Union, Europe for Citizens Program
Role of Zavod PIP: